Sending a package or envelope overnight can be expensive. But it doesn’t have to be. We’ve put together a few tips to save you money on next day delivery. These tips can save you up to 60% on your urgent overnight shipping:
1. Compare Shipping Rates – You may be surprised to learn how many companies offer next day delivery. FedEx, UPS and the US Postal Service all offer domestic overnight shipping. Hundreds of regional carriers and couriers such as Lone Star Overnight, Spee Dee Delivery, SoCal Overnight and others offer overnight delivery within their service areas. It really does pay to compare rates as the rates can vary greatly between carriers for the exact same shipment going to the exact same place. Try a free shipping rate comparison service such as ShippingSidekick.com to compare next day shipping rates fast. Comparing rates alone can save you big money. https://courierdeliverypackage.com/
2. Utilize Ground or Regular Shipping – Often when a package is traveling only a short distance ground or regular shipping will provide next day delivery. This can be a significant cost savings over shipping via overnight methods. Check transit times on the carrier’s websites to see how long ground shipping will take. Or use a service such as ShippingSidekick.com to compare carrier rates and transit times all at once.
3. Package Your Shipment Appropriately – Most major overnight shipping companies use dimensional factoring when figuring the charge for your next day delivery shipment. This means the size of the box, in addition to the weight, contributes to the cost of your shipment. This makes sense because a heavier box uses more fuel on the shipper’s plane and a large box takes up more room. Use a box that is just large enough to accommodate your shipment and proper packaging such as Styrofoam peanuts. Using a larger box is not necessary and will cost you money.
4. Drop Off Your Overnight Shipment Instead of Requesting Carrier Pickup – Shipping companies charge a hefty pickup fee, some over $10, to pick up your next day delivery package or envelope. Dropping your shipment off at a shipper location or drop box will avoid this charge.
5. Combine Shipments When Possible – If you have two boxes going to the same place, it is generally cheaper to put them in one larger box rather than two small ones.
6. Use Flat Rate Shipping Envelopes and Boxes – A number of shippers offer flat rate boxes and envelopes for next day delivery. With flat rate shipping you pay one set price regardless of how much the box or envelope weights. This can be a big cost saver with small heavier items.
Give these simple tips a try and you will save money on your next day delivery shipping. Happy shipping!
By Jacob Lakhany